Tuesday 19 February 2008

Drugs

I looked after a young man who had taken something in a club - did not know what it was but he was feeling "funny" now. Tachycardic, anxious, jittery, pupils like organ stops. We looked after him on our ward overnight and I kept finding him outside having a smoke. Told that no smoking was allowed he informed me that his mother had been in our hospital with cancer and she had been allowed to smoke (?) Anyway I bollocked him (god I can be a bully at times) and told him to get back to the ward. He then complained that he had done nothing wrong!! and why was I giving him a hard time. Considering it was 3 o'clock in the morning I did not give him the slap that was my first instinct but calmly and politely informed him that if he wanted he could discuss his drug taking with the local constabulary and see if they would put up with his crap, that he had been admitted for observation and my nursing staff were unable to do this if he was not in the building never mind not in the ward.
Don't you just love nights?

No comments: